DumaWall Frequently Asked Questions
Why is part of the tongue or groove chipped off of the panels? Are my panels defective?
The panels are not defective. During manufacturing, one corner of the overlap lip is intentionally milled off. This is to provide enough space for the four corners to fit together when four panels are connected. The milled tongue or groove does not impact the product performance or finished look.
Is it easy to install DumaWall products yourself?
Yes. DumaWall panels are easy to install by the average do-it-yourself consumer. The panels can be cut to size using a saw (manual or electric) or a utility knife.
What is PVC?
Polyvinyl chloride (commonly abbreviated as PVC) is a widely-used plastic. Globally, more than 50% of all PVC manufactured is used in construction. As a building material, PVC is budget friendly and easy to assemble. PVC is replacing traditional building materials such as wood, concrete and clay. Click here to find more information about sustainability.
What is PVC cladding?
PVC cladding was developed in Europe in the 1970s. It was used as a decorative interior wall finish and had unique properties compared to other wall cladding at the time. PVC panels are lightweight with a smooth surface for decoration and a tongue-and-groove system for easy installation.
I have never heard of PVC panels before. How can I be confident they will not create any problems?
PVC wall cladding was first used in Belgium, the Netherlands and France and has been installed there for over 30 years. Since then, the use of PVC panels has been gaining popularity in many countries. Our products have proven their reliability over the years.
On what surfaces can PVC panels be installed?
The panels can be glued to smooth surfaces such as plaster or plasterboard or even to existing tiles. With rough, uneven walls the panels can be affixed to a framework using nails, staples or adhesive. More information about installation methods are included on our installation guide.
What is the maximum temperature for PVC panels?
Our panels can withstand a maximum continuous temperature of 140°F. This means that DumaWall PVC panels can be used as a shower wall panel, but cannot be used in saunas. Installation within 6 inches of a stove is not recommended either.
What kind of adhesive/sealant should be used?
When gluing DumaWall products on regular surfaces such as plasterboard or wood, we recommend using Power Grab Ultimate® adhesive. For Canadian customers, we recommend No More Nails® Wet Instant Grab adhesive. Be sure to read the adhesive instructions before use.
Should extra silicone be added between panels?
Not normally, however when installing in a wet room (such as a shower, for example), apply a line of silicone sealant to the tongue and groove connection between the panels to ensure a completely waterproof joint. Also apply a line of silicone sealant between the panel and the edge of the shower or bath, and on inside corners.
How should DumaWall panels be cleaned and cared for?
The panels can be cleaned and polished to their original condition using any typical household, non-abrasive cleaning agent. Normally, you only need a damp cloth to clean the panels thoroughly. Do not use abrasive, aggressive substances or cleaning products based on chloride. We do not recommend using solvents. Adhesive residue or pen marks are best removed using isopropyl alcohol.
Do your products emit toxic fumes? Are your products hazardous when inhaled indoors?
No. Our products are not harmful to your health. All our products are classified as A+ (very low emission of pollutants), which is the best rating for indoor wall cladding. This means you can use our products in your house with no harmful effect on health.
Can I put DumaWall on my ceiling?
Yes. If you choose to apply to a ceiling, you will need to use both the recommended adhesive and mechanical fasteners (nails or staples) to prevent the panels from falling.
Can I use as a working surface and put DumaWall on my floor, use as a countertop, etc…?
No. The panels are designed to be used on a vertical wall surface.
Can I paint DumaWall?
Yes, but the panels are not intended to be painted. If desired, consult with your paint department for proper primer and paint for good adhesion.
Do you offer outlet covers/ switch covers?
If I wanted to remove 1 tile (or a few) how would I do so and what would I use?
This can be accomplished and is treated like any other tongue and groove connection. Using a utility knife, cut the tongue of the panel you choose to remove. Once the tongue on both sides is removed, use a putty knife or paint scraper and slide the tool under the panel to be remove and apply outward pressure releasing the adhesive from the wall. You may need to repair the wall after removal if adhesive damages surface to prepare it for new panel.
Do I need to grout DumaWall?
No. Grouting is not necessary as DumaWall already has a manufactured grout line built in.
What if I want to trowel the adhesive on?
You can trowel on the adhesive with a ¼-inch notch trowel for more even coverage after applying adhesive to the back of the panel or trowel directly onto your wall.
What type of adhesive do you recommend with DumaWall?
We recommend Loctite® Power Grab Ultimate.
Do I need to seal my basement concrete wall before I install DumaWall?
It depends on the age and surface of your basement wall. In newer homes, the poured concrete walls are traditionally sealed from the outside. In older homes with concrete block foundations, you can seal with a concrete sealer like a Kilz™.
How do I need to prep my wall before I install DumaWall?
If you choose to install DumaWall on an existing wall, clean it with a good degreaser to make sure the wall is free from any contaminates that would affect adhesion.
Can I put DumaWall in the shower?
Yes, seal all edges with recommended siliconized sealers at the joint to prevent water infiltration.
Should I seal the DumaWall for extra protection?
This is not necessary. However, if you are using this in a wet environment such as shower enclosure, we do recommend sealing all edges with a silicone sealer.
How does DumaWall hold up with humidity?
Excellent. The panels are 100% water proof.
Can I put DumaWall outside on my patio (exposed to outside elements/ UV rays)?
No, DumaWall is not exterior-grade-UV-stable.
How do I cut DumaWall?
Standard wood working tools like a table saw or circular saw with a fine tooth provide the best cut edge. Use a 60-tooth blade or higher. Alternatively, you can score one side a few times with a utility knife and snap the tile at the line. This method may require sanding the snapped edges.
Can DumaWall be used in campers, RVs, 4 seasons rooms or garages (non-temperature-controlled areas)?
Yes, as long as the recommended installation methods and adhesives are used leaving 1/4” space at the edges to allow for expansion and contraction.
Are DumaWall panels scratch-resistant?
Yes, there is a durable, UV-cured, protective polyurethane layer on the surface of the panels. This wear- and-scratch-resistant layer will prevent moderate abuse. The tiles are intended as a wall product, however, and can be scratched by sharp objects or dented by blunt force. DumaWall tiles have better wear and scratch resistance than most wall treatments, such as painted drywall or paneling. Panels should be cleaned with household or mild commercial cleaners that do not contain abrasives.
What are the general benefits of PVC wall cladding?
- Easy and fast to install: PVC panels are user-friendly, easy-to-install products. The panels can easily be cut to size and are the ideal DIY solution. Compared to tiles, they take about half the time to install (no grout!). Since they are so easy to install, any do-it-yourself consumer can fit them. This saves you money because there’s no need for a contractor.
- Water-resistant: PVC panels are very popular in bathrooms and kitchens as they are water-repellent and mildew-resistant, but they can be used all over the house (basements, attics, garages, bedrooms, living rooms, etc.)
- Budget-friendly: compared to tiling, you save a lot of time and work when installing PVC panels on walls. PVC panels are often more interesting in terms of price as well when considering the cost per square meter.
- Versatile product: our panels are ideal for cladding walls of private houses, offices, hotels, laboratories, hospitals, food-processing plants, etc. The possibilities are endless: decorative wall panels, practical shower panels, hygienic ceiling panels, etc.
- Hygienic: DumaWall panels provide a very clean and hygienic solution for wall decoration. Once installed, there is no grout to crumble or to get dirty. PVC is mildew-resistant and prevents bacterial growth.
- User friendly: PVC panels require only limited aftercare. Cleaning does not take long. Dirt cannot collect in pores or cracks because of the smooth surface of the panels. A simple cloth will do to clean the surface. Do not use chlorinated or abrasive agents.
- Recyclable: PVC is 100% recyclable. Our panels can be taken to any plastic recycling facility.
- Insulating: DumaWall panels also insulate (R-value 2.25), which is an advantage when PVC panels are used in garages, basements or similar locations.
- No further finishing required after installation: no paint, no lacquer, no varnish, etc.
Why should you, as a consumer, choose DumaWall products over alternative products?
- Our panels are manufactured in Switzerland or the USA adhering to the highest quality assurance processes in the world.
- We use the latest technologies and equipment for high-resolution prints (360 dpi), resulting in a photorealistic and true-to-life look.
- We offer a 10-year guarantee, which is longer than similar products offered on the market.
- We have a wide range of designs that look just like ceramic tile or stone.
How do PVC panels compare price-wise in relation to tiles?
Obviously, tiles come in all sizes and weights, but due to the fact that PVC panels can be installed much faster than tiles, you can save on installation costs. Whether you hire someone to install the panels or do it yourself, you will save money.
The DumaWall wall tiles are very easy to place without having to deal with dirty or crumbling grout. Moreover, they are very low-maintenance.
What is the advantage of PVC wall cladding over wood panels? Over tile boards (wood panels with tile effect)? Over FRP (Fiber-reinforced Polymer) panels?
Our PVC panels are moisture- and water-resistant. DumaWall PVC panels will not warp, delaminate or swell. PVC panels are superior to wood panels, tile boards or FRP panels because of their lower flammability.
What is the Fire Rating of DumaWall panels?
DumaWall PVC panels have the following fire classification rate: US STANDARD ASTM E84: Class A Flame, Class C Smoke.
Can DumaWall panels be recycled?
Yes. DumaWall panels can be recycled and be taken to any plastic recycling facility.
What is the guarantee period?
DumaWall panels are guaranteed for a period of 10 years.
What should I use for edge trims?
We recommend using a 5/16 inch aluminum flooring trim edge available at any home center (see below).
Silicone sealant can also be used instead of aluminum trims. Inside corners can be caulked with a matching caulk or you can use clear silicone sealant.